We have ONE awesome snake skull Netsuke now available!
Netsuke were designed and developed in Japan as a fixture to attach items to the sash of a kimono. They have been developed as highly detailed, hand carved toggles which have both a practical and aesthetic purpose. Kimono traditionally do not have pockets, so netsuke were used to attach things that were needed to the sash - like tobacco pouches, purses etc.
This piece has a hole in the back which we can attach a neck cord to if you would like to wear this piece as a pendant.
The craftsmanship is of the highest standard - zoom in and look closely at the minute detail and care that has been taken to create this little masterpiece.
The skull is an ancient symbol that has long been adopted to evoke a host of strong emotional responses - ranging from fear to courage and individuality. It is often seen as a representation of death and mortality, but throughout time it has been adopted to symbolise many other things, including:
- Celebrating the memory of the dead
- Celebrating life
- As a symbol of life after death
- As a symbol of change
- Skulls are worn to bring good luck, or avoid bad luck
- They are also worn to symbolise toughness, machismo, courage, bravery or indifference to death and danger
- They are seen as a symbol of nonconformity, free-thinking, and rebelliousness
- Or, they are worn as visually striking fashion accessories.
Whatever your reason, this piece is an exquisitely carved, small work of art.
Delivered on a hand plaited black adjustable cord with DHL Express Courier.
Material: Deer Antler, Goat Horn
Size: 26mm (1") long; 20mm (0.8") wide